Reduce Your Chances of Being a Victim of Mail Fraud with eStatements
Even though identity thieves are finding new ways to steal information over the Internet, the original theft–for example, taking out a credit card in your name–tends to be a low-tech crime. According to the Federal Trade Commission, about half the country’s victims know how their information was swiped, and in many cases the breach was paper–bills, credit card solicitations, and financial statements–pilfered from garbage cans and mailboxes.
Banking and paying bills online not only cuts off thieves’ access to the papers they need to commit ID theft, but also helps detect the crime sooner. This is because consumers who bank online check their accounts much more frequently–nearly four times a month compared with once a month for those who receive statements by mail.
Receive your statement electronically and enjoy safety, timeliness, and convenience.
How to sign up for eStatements:
- 1. To begin, log into your account securely through online banking.
- 2. From main menu select ‘Settings’> ‘Edit Email’> and click “Add Email”.
- 3. Type in your email address and check the statements box.
- 6. Once you have selected the statements box, read the eStatement disclosure. Select the “I Agree” button and submit.
- 7. If the email you have selected is new, you will be given a verification code. The code will be sent to you in a PDF form.
- 8. Enter code when prompted.
- 9. Upon completion of these steps, you have successfully enrolled in eStatements. Congratulations!