Summer Savings Series l Harrisburg
August 10, 2022 | White Rose Credit Union | Saving
Part Three in our Summer Saving Series takes us to our Commonwealth’s capital, Harrisburg Pa. Walking around downtown Harrisburg, you can take in the beautiful architecture but there is much more to do in and around the city.
- City Island offers a beautiful 63-acres of scenery, packed full of fun activities. Take a ride on Pride of the Susquehanna riverboat or enjoy a leisurely horse drawn carriage ride with South Mountain Carriage Co. Tour the island on a Civil War-era steam train and try for a hole-in-one at Water Golf on City Island . Take a spin on the antique carousel then stop by Café Huey on City Island for a bite to eat. Finish the day by catching a Harrisburg Senators game and don’t forget to stay for the post-game fireworks!
- Get in touch with your wild side at Lake Tobias Wildlife Park . View the animals at the zoo or get a little closer with a safari ride. Check out the petting zoo and try feeding the animals. Grab a snack at any of the five concessions stands then visit the museum and education center. Bring you rod and some bait and do some fishing in the catch-and-release main lake.
- Take a tour of the Pennsylvania State Capitol. Start in the Interactive Welcome Center then browse around on your own or schedule a guided tour. You might even be able to view a PA House or Senate Session.
- Go back in time and explore the historical homes at The John Harris – Simon Cameron Mansion and Fort Hunter Mansion & Park. You can also enjoy scenic river views on the Fort Hunter 40-acre property on a free self-guided tour.
- Head over to Wildwood Park, Lake, Sanctuary & Nature Center. Seven trails are ready and waiting for hiking and be sure to visit the Olewine Nature Center. The Center has a tree diorama, library and animal artifacts to make learning about nature even more interesting.
- The Gamut Theatre has plenty of shows to choose from. If you like to laugh, the TMI Improv Comedy Troupe may be right up your alley. There are also plenty of shows on the Mainstage or take the kids to see a performance by the Popcorn Hat Players.
- The State Museum of Pennsylvania featured exhibits include paleontology, archaeology, geology and more! Check into outer space at the museum’s planetarium. The Curiosity Connection is a perfect for kids ages 1-5 to explore in a hands-on play space and entry is included with your general admission price.
- The Whitaker Center has something for everyone. 3D shows, live music performances, hands-on activities for kids, science, arts and sports, the Whitaker Center has it all.
For more events and activities in Harrisburg visit visithersheyharrisburg.org. Keep an eye out for the next blog in our series featuring Lancaster.